Skip to main content

A bit about the Blogger

Hi!
Thanks for taking a look at my Blog.

The short version of my story is that I am a 22 year New Jersey native. I went to Roselle Park High School in Union County, NJ. Then, in order to learn the most I possible could about the environment (and it's sciences) I went to school 300 miles away- where I attended classes at the University of Vermont. The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources is an amazing melting pot of concepts, ideas and opportunities. The small school size allowed me to get close to professors and get super involved in the 'Greening of Aiken' projects during my time there. Although I started college intending to focus on conservation biology, I actually ended up becoming passionate about Ecological Design.
Then to get some design background, I added a minor in Green Building and Community Design.

Then, to boot- I realized how much opportunity actually lay ahead for me back in good ol' NJ and NYC- and how much I really tended to lean towards urban projects any way. So here I am, Sustainability Intern at the Willow School in Gladstone, NJ- and this is what I'm learning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating National Bike to Work Day, May 16th 2014

BIKE TO WORK DAY MAY 16, 2014 Bicycle Safety (now you know!) Bicycles on the roadway are, by law, vehicles with the same rights, and responsibilities as motorized vehicles. Bicyclists should travel with traffic, in the shoulder or as far over as is safely possible. In NJ, helmets are required for anyone under 18- however if you are biking in location where there is automobile traffic, it is highly recommended to take the extra step. When riding in groups, never ride more than 2 across. On narrow roads with no shoulder or bike lane, ride single file.  Use hand signals to notify motorists and other riders when you are turning or stopping "More than half of the U.S. population lives within five miles of their workplace, making bicycling a feasible and fun way to get to work. With increased interest in healthy, sustainable and economic transportation options, it’s not surprising that, from 2000 to 2011, the number of bicycle commuters in the U.S. grew by more tha...

An Open Letter to the Land that I Love

💜 I apologize for reading in this video, but I had a bunch of points to make and if I go off book the list may have grown too long. xo, Casey

A Bit About the Challenge of Living...Buildings

Just because I'm an Environmental student does not mean I was born wanting to make my clothes out of hemp, live in a cobb house, and eat only raw/vegetarian friendly foods. I'm a Jersey girl at heart, who happened to spend her summers camping in the Northern part of the state canoeing, swimming, hiking and singing. I really grew to love spending time on the Appalachian Trail, the challenge of long, multi-day hikes, the danger of bears and other large animals, and the wonder of how life goes on despite everything happening in our cities. As I got older, I could feel the natural world around me start to change. Summers got hot- like 106 degrees hot. We couldn't hike the normal trails because water sources were dry, we couldn't swim in the lake because so much water evaporated the fecal count was unsafe, and something called the gypsy moth was plaguing the entire county, devouring everything green in its path. I realized then that maybe things don't continue on despit...