Skip to main content

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go!

Well, it's the night before my #climateride

I am super nervous and excited. A combination of those and stress from just regular old grad school gave me a migraine last night and I was asleep by like 8:30.

Today, I'm feeling tired and ready to get going. After work I will head home to do my last minutes, and load up the car for a ride into Brooklyn! I wanted to use public transportation but with my bike, a huge duffel, and rush hour traffic, I'm figuring it's safer and less stressful to drive and drop things off and have my Boyfriend take my car home for me.

I realized, while I review this a bit on my fundraising page- I didn't share my reasons for doing the ride.

1) A selfish goal. I am always thinking of new ways to physically challenge and push myself. Once I received my first donation- thanks mom!- I knew I had to go through with it. So all summer I was riding a few days a week. Even though not the distances I probably should have, this summer had some sweltering temperatures. I did 2 organized rides and through the sweat and sore butt, I saw I could do it. But these 300 miles are certainly going to be a challenge.

2) To raise awareness through a larger movement. If you're driving down the road- any road, there's no way to ignore 200 bicyclists. 20 draw a lot of attention but 200 are going to be mind blowing! Everyone will see our jerseys and be like, oh when I go home I need to find out what that's all about! I see Climate Ride as a positive way to educate and raise public awareness.

3) To support ethical organizations. While there is a lot of polarized response to Climate Change and sustainability, I tried to pick organizations that supported ethical causes. Ethics are things that all people can agree on- rights to clean air in cities, people who bike and walk have a right to do so safely, etc. Whereas items like ending climate change don't necessarily have one solution, and still have people (though I just think they are blinded by ignorance and unwillingness to change) saying climate change isn't real. So, I chose to support:

Bike New York - Working with the New York City Department of Transportation and other City agencies, Bike New York provides access to cycling for New Yorkers by providing free bicycle education classes in all five boroughs. Providing safety courses and structures to New York bicyclists who want it- who can argue that's bad??

Environmental Defense Fund Environmental Defense Fund’s mission is to preserve the natural systems on which all life depends. Guided by science and economics, we find practical and lasting solutions to the most serious environmental problems. Since the 1960s, EDF has been responsible for lobbying and upholding laws like the Clean Air Act, and conserving national parks- things here for ALL of us to enjoy the benefits of in perpetuity!

Institute for Sustainable Communities- "We believe in the power of communities—and their ability to help themselves grow stronger, healthier, more stable, more prosperous and more peaceful. We know that every community has within it the ability to find creative solutions to complex problems, and we help people realize this potential. We build capacity and infrastructure from the top-down and the bottom-up leaving a legacy of leadership as well as enduring results. Bringing together best practices from the public and private sector, ISC uses creative, flexible training and mentoring to help communities produce breakthrough results."  I had a chance to learn about and understand the vital work of this organization as an undergraduate student at the University of vermont. Planning and organization at a community level can have such an incredible impact and truly catalyze meaningful change.

New Jersey Bike and Walk Coalition-  Is dedicated to: PROTECTING the rights and safety of New Jersey bicyclists and walkers, PROMOTING bicycling and walking for fun, fitness, and transportation, EDUCATING bicyclists, walkers, and drivers about our rights and responsibilities, and CONNECTING our communities with a smarter transportation system.  Same ideals as Bike New York, but widens it's reach to pedestrians as well! NJ Bike and Walk will be present at Climate Ride, and is a silent supporter for all NJ residents who benefit from their work. I thought it was about time I thanked them!

Rails-to-Trails Conservancy- based in Washington, D.C., whose mission it is to create a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines and connecting corridors to build healthier places for healthier people. Making something abandoned into something beautiful and useful- who's going to tell me that is not a vital part of revitalizing urban areas??





Here's some press I received in the Suburban News





So, in honor of these organizations, I ride. For those who don't "believe" in climate change, I ride. Because I am being the change I want to see in the world, I ride. because more than 50 of my friends and peers believe in me and have donated to this cause, I ride. 


Check in here for updates, struggles, tears, and funny moments along the way!


Peace, love, ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Silly Time to learn to swim when you start to Drown

It's a silly time to learn to swim on the way down Well why am I quoting this fabulous Tegan and Sarah song? It came on during my morning commute and it had me thinking- yeah! I bet a lot of society feels the same way about climate change. It is beyond me how people can deny that climate change exists- or say they 'don't believe in it'. It's not a religion, cult movement, theoretical ideal or ideas spun by your average street-corner crazy. It is a scientifically documented, million researcher strong, thousands of pages-per-volume fact. But- it would be so much easier to get by day to day if you didn't feel like the world around you was closing in and smothering you. We don't know how to swim through all this information- and with the policy makers in their later years, they have some trouble understanding what to do and think if they just ignore it, deny it, or drag their feet they can just tread water instead of swimming forward. I totally see how that gets

Living Technologies

Ok, so of course coming fresh off the plane from the Living Future Conference in Seattle has really got me excited about the best and brightest in green building. I will be sharing lessons learned , case studies, and knowledge nuggets in several posts. And sorry for falling off the map for so long to all my readers- life happens, eh? So one of the most interesting innovations I learned about at the conference is the BIQ house in Hamburg, Germany. This is a multi-story apartment building that is completely powered by algae! Algae sits inbetween panes of glass, eats carbon dioxide and sunlight, and produces oily algae that are digested by the building to create power. Neat huh? This building is a pilot/prototype but just opened several weeks ago. This building brings up a lot of interest in algae for it's many uses. i've seen explorations in bioluminescent algae for street lighting, algae grown for biofuel for transportation, algae for wastewater treatment, and now to pow

Some basic terms

So, the first thing you should know. Is technically I'm not a complete laywoman. As you learned from my previous post I have spent all of my undergraduate career studying the 'Green Design' Stuff. There are tons of certification processes and awards just within the United States, but one of the most widely accepted and used is the LEED Certification Process with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) . LEED stands for L eadership in E nergy and E nvironmental D esign. It is a point system, where you earn a credit for every determined area (for example" Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, and Material and Resources are categories of points). For more information and resources regarding the LEED process and USGBC's various projects, visit their site at: www.usgbc.org One of my responsibilities as Sustainability Intern will be to earn my LEED Accredited Professional certificate, because although I have had a bunch of experience with LEED projects througho