Skip to main content

Lobby Day and Reflections

Finally, after 320 miles and nights in cabins or camping on the ground- I got the wonderful hospitality of my good friend from UVM, Katie, and her family. It was so nice to sleep in a bed again, and she even had champagne waiting to celebrate!

Relatively early the next morning, I took the metro into DC for my first lobby meeting with Senator Menendez. There were three of us total, we decided to ask for a push for a National Complete Streets Campaign. Cindy from the New Jersey Bike and Walk Coalition came in with us, and she had some great statistics and information about current policies. We asked for Menendez to introduce a national push for streets that are designed for bikes, pedestrians, public transportation and cars- not just automobiles a sis standard today. The idea is to do this as streets need to be repaired or redesigned anyway so it is actually not more expensive. Furthermore, high amounts of car traffic degrade roads faster, so the costs of upkeep would lower.


After a quick lunch, I dropped by Representative Donald Payne's office to drop off a letter request since I never heard back about a meeting. Turned out I had a 1:30 meeting that Climate Ride never told me about! Luckily, the aides were still available to meet with me and I made my bigger ask on my own. I asked for a resilient city bill. In this bill, all shelter places would be required to have off grid sources of power that do not depend on fossil fuels. During Sandy, not only did the power go out- the gas ran out and so even generators were of no use. Additionally, gas stations should all have an off grid source of power. Of course, i am advocating for solar panels, and that this bill would provide funding/tax breaks/incentives for these places to do so. Finally, the bill would have a requirement for a certain amount of regional, seasonal food production so that when another Sandy situation occurs, no part of the state is cut off from food sources. All of these steps would help support the electric and food grid in a 'green' way but be immeasurably supportive during disaster events. The LA's were very interested in hearing my idea and asked for me to follow up. It overlaps a little with two bills currently introduced: The Smart Grid Research act and the Safer Schools Act, but adds some new elements that might be amendments or might make a new bill altogether. 


Getting the instant response and interest in action is exhilarating! I might have to work at this political involvement a bit more! I think mentioning that i rode over 300 miles to deliver that message really helps give it some weight.

I'm still in a bit of shock that I did this- my mom says I'm stubborn- I'd say that's just how much I believe these things are the right things to do. I appreciate the current strategy Obama has unrolled for a cleaner energy future, and that compromise is important. But we now know that the changes are going to occur within my lifetime, and I want to be able to tell my children I kept working at positive solutions toward change. One person cannot solve the problems of the planet, but that doesn't give us the right to add to the existing ones.

So grateful for all of the support and kind words along this journey, and I can't wait for the next adventure to start!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Silly Time to learn to swim when you start to Drown

It's a silly time to learn to swim on the way down Well why am I quoting this fabulous Tegan and Sarah song? It came on during my morning commute and it had me thinking- yeah! I bet a lot of society feels the same way about climate change. It is beyond me how people can deny that climate change exists- or say they 'don't believe in it'. It's not a religion, cult movement, theoretical ideal or ideas spun by your average street-corner crazy. It is a scientifically documented, million researcher strong, thousands of pages-per-volume fact. But- it would be so much easier to get by day to day if you didn't feel like the world around you was closing in and smothering you. We don't know how to swim through all this information- and with the policy makers in their later years, they have some trouble understanding what to do and think if they just ignore it, deny it, or drag their feet they can just tread water instead of swimming forward. I totally see how that gets

Living Technologies

Ok, so of course coming fresh off the plane from the Living Future Conference in Seattle has really got me excited about the best and brightest in green building. I will be sharing lessons learned , case studies, and knowledge nuggets in several posts. And sorry for falling off the map for so long to all my readers- life happens, eh? So one of the most interesting innovations I learned about at the conference is the BIQ house in Hamburg, Germany. This is a multi-story apartment building that is completely powered by algae! Algae sits inbetween panes of glass, eats carbon dioxide and sunlight, and produces oily algae that are digested by the building to create power. Neat huh? This building is a pilot/prototype but just opened several weeks ago. This building brings up a lot of interest in algae for it's many uses. i've seen explorations in bioluminescent algae for street lighting, algae grown for biofuel for transportation, algae for wastewater treatment, and now to pow

Some basic terms

So, the first thing you should know. Is technically I'm not a complete laywoman. As you learned from my previous post I have spent all of my undergraduate career studying the 'Green Design' Stuff. There are tons of certification processes and awards just within the United States, but one of the most widely accepted and used is the LEED Certification Process with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) . LEED stands for L eadership in E nergy and E nvironmental D esign. It is a point system, where you earn a credit for every determined area (for example" Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, and Material and Resources are categories of points). For more information and resources regarding the LEED process and USGBC's various projects, visit their site at: www.usgbc.org One of my responsibilities as Sustainability Intern will be to earn my LEED Accredited Professional certificate, because although I have had a bunch of experience with LEED projects througho