Skip to main content

Day 1 of Climate Ride- NJ

We rode from the drop off point in Brooklyn to Princeton NJ today. The first hour or so was easy because we took a ferry after 5 miles in NYC, then broke for lunch :)


The hills afterward, despite warnings, were difficult. I did NOT walk at all today, although tomorrow is 74.3 miles!!!!! So who knows what that will bring.

The best part of today was when we all took off together, being able to visually see 180 or so bike riders doing something together gets a lot of outside attention. In a lot of areas where I ride, people don't even look or know to share the road with cyclists- I should bring this gang home for a couple weeks and let that teach them!



One fun stop before I reached Princeton was a park that was the site of the 'martian landing' from the War of the Worlds broadcast. My phone is charging so i will post via instagram after this evening's speakers!

I take all the pictures on my phone, so I may not be able to upload photos to these entries until I'm home or at a real computer.

I LOVE all of the encouragement. keep it coming, let your friends and family know they can still donate!

Share the blog, share the love!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating National Bike to Work Day, May 16th 2014

BIKE TO WORK DAY MAY 16, 2014 Bicycle Safety (now you know!) Bicycles on the roadway are, by law, vehicles with the same rights, and responsibilities as motorized vehicles. Bicyclists should travel with traffic, in the shoulder or as far over as is safely possible. In NJ, helmets are required for anyone under 18- however if you are biking in location where there is automobile traffic, it is highly recommended to take the extra step. When riding in groups, never ride more than 2 across. On narrow roads with no shoulder or bike lane, ride single file.  Use hand signals to notify motorists and other riders when you are turning or stopping "More than half of the U.S. population lives within five miles of their workplace, making bicycling a feasible and fun way to get to work. With increased interest in healthy, sustainable and economic transportation options, it’s not surprising that, from 2000 to 2011, the number of bicycle commuters in the U.S. grew by more tha...

An Open Letter to the Land that I Love

💜 I apologize for reading in this video, but I had a bunch of points to make and if I go off book the list may have grown too long. xo, Casey

A Bit About the Challenge of Living...Buildings

Just because I'm an Environmental student does not mean I was born wanting to make my clothes out of hemp, live in a cobb house, and eat only raw/vegetarian friendly foods. I'm a Jersey girl at heart, who happened to spend her summers camping in the Northern part of the state canoeing, swimming, hiking and singing. I really grew to love spending time on the Appalachian Trail, the challenge of long, multi-day hikes, the danger of bears and other large animals, and the wonder of how life goes on despite everything happening in our cities. As I got older, I could feel the natural world around me start to change. Summers got hot- like 106 degrees hot. We couldn't hike the normal trails because water sources were dry, we couldn't swim in the lake because so much water evaporated the fecal count was unsafe, and something called the gypsy moth was plaguing the entire county, devouring everything green in its path. I realized then that maybe things don't continue on despit...