Skip to main content

Thankful for Caring

Since starting my new position in New York City, I've had the opportunity to read several books that have been on my book list:

An American River
The author details how a major river in New Jersey also became a major dumping site for the processes of the industrial revolution. She describes the enormous challenges and dangers within the Superfund sites throughout the river, but also inspires the readers with her visits to pristine and restored parts of the Passaic River where life is thriving.


Ecology of Commerce
Paul Hawken describes the perverse economic systems that allow corporations to write off their incalculable damage to the environment as the cost of doing business. This book is a little more of a reality check than Blessed Unrest, which I also highly recommend for a dose of inspiration about positive change. Regardless, Hawken describes systems that punish polluters and even net neutral businesses, and encourage regenerative and closed loop systems.



Maimonides
I also had the chance to read about Ben Maimon, and his descendants in a book about Maimonides. Seemingly unrelated, but Maimonides is one of the most well known Jewish Doctors from about 800 years ago. What struck me in this book was the description of typical Jewish trades; as a group of people who were nomadic out of desperation, Jews needed to develop trades that could travel with them and be set up and immediately operable to survive. There is a deep rooted dissatisfaction with information being fed to us as a people; we question and like to understand how things work. This is why Jews have long been successful doctors- they did not accept that disease and injury were at the will of God, they believed it was man's duty to figure out how it all worked and fix it if within their means. The author notes, "Among Jews, especially those of an intellectual bent, there is commonly a kind of restlessness, an anticipation of uncertainty, ambiguity, imperfection, and the sense that one must do something about it even though the total solution will never be found"




Reading all of these books in proximity got me thinking about why I care about nature, the environment, the health of people I've never met, etc. 
--Is it because I'm Jewish and my DNA historically carries that dissatisfaction with the unknown, like the carrying capacity of the planet?
-- Is it because power and privilege have allowed these books and the proper education to pass on to me?
-- Is it actually a grand form of selfishness, because I don't want to die from disease caused by environmental factors- and it happens to affect others as well?
-- Is it my childhood experiences outdoors that formed the basis for my intrinsic value of the environment as  a whole?


Well, it's likely a combination of all of those factors, and more I haven't thought of, but in any case-

I'm Thankful for the opportunity to learn from those who know more about specialized topics than I do, but more grateful to be able to review that information with a critical eye.

I'm Thankful for the knowledge that the EARTH has sustained me all of my life, but more grateful that all of the technologies we would need to restore her already exist.

I'm Thankful for all of the people around the world working toward the same greater goal;; but most grateful for the knowledge that my work will never be done, because there is no level of 'enough' beauty,justice, and happiness.

With that, I hope you and your families reflect on reasons to be grateful, and determine goals for positive change this Thanksgiving. Imagine if you started your positive change with the holidays, spending time with your families instead of in department stores. If the season's success was measured in smiles and mitzvot for others instead of boxes and rolls of wrapping paper. It may not make a world of difference if you are the only one to do it, but it will make a difference. And that, my friends, is enough reason to do it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Silly Time to learn to swim when you start to Drown

It's a silly time to learn to swim on the way down Well why am I quoting this fabulous Tegan and Sarah song? It came on during my morning commute and it had me thinking- yeah! I bet a lot of society feels the same way about climate change. It is beyond me how people can deny that climate change exists- or say they 'don't believe in it'. It's not a religion, cult movement, theoretical ideal or ideas spun by your average street-corner crazy. It is a scientifically documented, million researcher strong, thousands of pages-per-volume fact. But- it would be so much easier to get by day to day if you didn't feel like the world around you was closing in and smothering you. We don't know how to swim through all this information- and with the policy makers in their later years, they have some trouble understanding what to do and think if they just ignore it, deny it, or drag their feet they can just tread water instead of swimming forward. I totally see how that gets

Living Technologies

Ok, so of course coming fresh off the plane from the Living Future Conference in Seattle has really got me excited about the best and brightest in green building. I will be sharing lessons learned , case studies, and knowledge nuggets in several posts. And sorry for falling off the map for so long to all my readers- life happens, eh? So one of the most interesting innovations I learned about at the conference is the BIQ house in Hamburg, Germany. This is a multi-story apartment building that is completely powered by algae! Algae sits inbetween panes of glass, eats carbon dioxide and sunlight, and produces oily algae that are digested by the building to create power. Neat huh? This building is a pilot/prototype but just opened several weeks ago. This building brings up a lot of interest in algae for it's many uses. i've seen explorations in bioluminescent algae for street lighting, algae grown for biofuel for transportation, algae for wastewater treatment, and now to pow

Some basic terms

So, the first thing you should know. Is technically I'm not a complete laywoman. As you learned from my previous post I have spent all of my undergraduate career studying the 'Green Design' Stuff. There are tons of certification processes and awards just within the United States, but one of the most widely accepted and used is the LEED Certification Process with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) . LEED stands for L eadership in E nergy and E nvironmental D esign. It is a point system, where you earn a credit for every determined area (for example" Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, and Material and Resources are categories of points). For more information and resources regarding the LEED process and USGBC's various projects, visit their site at: www.usgbc.org One of my responsibilities as Sustainability Intern will be to earn my LEED Accredited Professional certificate, because although I have had a bunch of experience with LEED projects througho