Skip to main content

A Peek into Green Restaurant-ing

Well, as if there isn't enough to learn within the context of designing a school building and curriculum, I have taken on another position at a new restaurant set to open at the end of October in Union, NJ that will be Farm to Table.

The restaurant is called Ursino, paying homage to it's historic neighbor, Liberty Hall Museum, that originally used that name. It is being constructed within some vacant space in the STEM building of Kean University.

Although I am not a sustainability consultant within the context of Ursino, my position as a Hostess is giving me incredible insight on restaurant operations, union county food systems, and the cost effectiveness of balancing local, organic and sustainable.

I have not yet been able to narrow in anyone who can knowledgeably speak to the sustainable design aspects of the physical restaurant; but, being food people, I have learned a lot about the sustainable food aspect.

Under the guidance of executive chef Peter Turso, the restaurant is aiming to earn Green Restaurant Certification. They have made a guarantee that 70% of their food will be local, which they define as sourced within 100 miles. Many items will be grown less than 500 feet from the property, within the boundary of Liberty Hall's gardens.

The expansive liquor selection features organic, local, biodynamic, and or sustainably achieved wines, beers, whiskeys, etc. Several large bee boxes near the gardens not only encourage constant pollination, but will create honey for the restaurant's use.

Scraps created during food and meal preparation will be composted- covering most of the food cycle within the restaurant.

Some things I would like to see: more descriptions and stories about where the food came from, what practices are being utilized to get food, and how much intent went into the design of the restaurant.

Furthermore, in my interview I was told the restaurant would not initially be composting the meal remains. But, since Ursino is uniquely within Kean's property, they should be able to gain access the the University's rocket composter- which can digest meats, bones, and cheeses in addition to traditional 'green' matter. I hope they reconsider, since eliminating food waste could eliminate almost the entire footprint of the restaurant!

I invite readers, friends, family, and foodies to make a reservation and try out this Contemporary-American menu and judge for themselves how good green can taste!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Silly Time to learn to swim when you start to Drown

It's a silly time to learn to swim on the way down Well why am I quoting this fabulous Tegan and Sarah song? It came on during my morning commute and it had me thinking- yeah! I bet a lot of society feels the same way about climate change. It is beyond me how people can deny that climate change exists- or say they 'don't believe in it'. It's not a religion, cult movement, theoretical ideal or ideas spun by your average street-corner crazy. It is a scientifically documented, million researcher strong, thousands of pages-per-volume fact. But- it would be so much easier to get by day to day if you didn't feel like the world around you was closing in and smothering you. We don't know how to swim through all this information- and with the policy makers in their later years, they have some trouble understanding what to do and think if they just ignore it, deny it, or drag their feet they can just tread water instead of swimming forward. I totally see how that gets

Living Technologies

Ok, so of course coming fresh off the plane from the Living Future Conference in Seattle has really got me excited about the best and brightest in green building. I will be sharing lessons learned , case studies, and knowledge nuggets in several posts. And sorry for falling off the map for so long to all my readers- life happens, eh? So one of the most interesting innovations I learned about at the conference is the BIQ house in Hamburg, Germany. This is a multi-story apartment building that is completely powered by algae! Algae sits inbetween panes of glass, eats carbon dioxide and sunlight, and produces oily algae that are digested by the building to create power. Neat huh? This building is a pilot/prototype but just opened several weeks ago. This building brings up a lot of interest in algae for it's many uses. i've seen explorations in bioluminescent algae for street lighting, algae grown for biofuel for transportation, algae for wastewater treatment, and now to pow

Some basic terms

So, the first thing you should know. Is technically I'm not a complete laywoman. As you learned from my previous post I have spent all of my undergraduate career studying the 'Green Design' Stuff. There are tons of certification processes and awards just within the United States, but one of the most widely accepted and used is the LEED Certification Process with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) . LEED stands for L eadership in E nergy and E nvironmental D esign. It is a point system, where you earn a credit for every determined area (for example" Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, and Material and Resources are categories of points). For more information and resources regarding the LEED process and USGBC's various projects, visit their site at: www.usgbc.org One of my responsibilities as Sustainability Intern will be to earn my LEED Accredited Professional certificate, because although I have had a bunch of experience with LEED projects througho