Skip to main content

A Bit About the Challenge of Living...Buildings


Just because I'm an Environmental student does not mean I was born wanting to make my clothes out of hemp, live in a cobb house, and eat only raw/vegetarian friendly foods. I'm a Jersey girl at heart, who happened to spend her summers camping in the Northern part of the state canoeing, swimming, hiking and singing. I really grew to love spending time on the Appalachian Trail, the challenge of long, multi-day hikes, the danger of bears and other large animals, and the wonder of how life goes on despite everything happening in our cities.

As I got older, I could feel the natural world around me start to change. Summers got hot- like 106 degrees hot. We couldn't hike the normal trails because water sources were dry, we couldn't swim in the lake because so much water evaporated the fecal count was unsafe, and something called the gypsy moth was plaguing the entire county, devouring everything green in its path. I realized then that maybe things don't continue on despite whatever we do; maybe we have to think about and consciously decide to help our planet to keep her healthy.

I decided I wanted to learn everything I could about the corks and screws of how it all works, because then we can find solutions.

And here I am, looking for design and construction solutions- because it is not realistic to ask people to stop building, expanding, growing, and developing in their lives. But it may just be possible to change the way we do it.

The Living Building Challenge is the brainchild of the International Living Building Institute and it asks us, "How can we make a building that works like a tree?". Even in my undergraduate work, where we were singing the praises of the LEED certification process- we weren't actually making anything better; we were just trying to hurt things less.
I like the way it was put in a conference i attended over the summer: If I am in Florida and I'm trying to get to Maine, I can't get there by driving towards Texas. The insanity of the things we do in design is that we think if we drive towards Texas slower, we'll get to Maine. ie We cannot heal this Earth by using the same techniques and thought processes that got us here, and things like LEED-while they slow us down- are still headed towards Texas.

The Living Building Challenge (LBC) asks us to account for how far we import our materials; heavy-density things can come from no further than 300 miles, consultants can come from about 1200 miles, etc. The impact of bringing in things like bamboo, even though it is renewable, can be high because we must ship it in from at least 6,000 miles away to install it here in New Jersey.
We must use Net Zero energy annually; the building is designed to utilize as much daylight and passive energies as possible. Then, on-site renewables will power the rest of the building site.
LBC additionally requires Net Zero water and net zero waste, habitat exchange, windows/access to daylight and views for every occupiable space among its stringent design 'petals'

Then, there is the RED LIST- a group of chemicals/ingredients that are not permitted to be present in any part of the design, materials, or construction of the building that include but are not limited to: PVC, cadmium, mercury and lead.

If we want to create a building that is like a tree, i.e. it filters water, makes soil and uses sunlight for energy- we can't have it composed of toxic, non-biodegradable, and/or foreign oil-eating materials.

We will have to stop believing that the newest and fastest technology must be the best, and remembering to look back at some of the simpler, primitive, and more effective techniques to gain our needed result.







The Living Building Challenge is an attempt to turn our car around.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's a Silly Time to learn to swim when you start to Drown

It's a silly time to learn to swim on the way down Well why am I quoting this fabulous Tegan and Sarah song? It came on during my morning commute and it had me thinking- yeah! I bet a lot of society feels the same way about climate change. It is beyond me how people can deny that climate change exists- or say they 'don't believe in it'. It's not a religion, cult movement, theoretical ideal or ideas spun by your average street-corner crazy. It is a scientifically documented, million researcher strong, thousands of pages-per-volume fact. But- it would be so much easier to get by day to day if you didn't feel like the world around you was closing in and smothering you. We don't know how to swim through all this information- and with the policy makers in their later years, they have some trouble understanding what to do and think if they just ignore it, deny it, or drag their feet they can just tread water instead of swimming forward. I totally see how that gets

Living Technologies

Ok, so of course coming fresh off the plane from the Living Future Conference in Seattle has really got me excited about the best and brightest in green building. I will be sharing lessons learned , case studies, and knowledge nuggets in several posts. And sorry for falling off the map for so long to all my readers- life happens, eh? So one of the most interesting innovations I learned about at the conference is the BIQ house in Hamburg, Germany. This is a multi-story apartment building that is completely powered by algae! Algae sits inbetween panes of glass, eats carbon dioxide and sunlight, and produces oily algae that are digested by the building to create power. Neat huh? This building is a pilot/prototype but just opened several weeks ago. This building brings up a lot of interest in algae for it's many uses. i've seen explorations in bioluminescent algae for street lighting, algae grown for biofuel for transportation, algae for wastewater treatment, and now to pow

Some basic terms

So, the first thing you should know. Is technically I'm not a complete laywoman. As you learned from my previous post I have spent all of my undergraduate career studying the 'Green Design' Stuff. There are tons of certification processes and awards just within the United States, but one of the most widely accepted and used is the LEED Certification Process with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) . LEED stands for L eadership in E nergy and E nvironmental D esign. It is a point system, where you earn a credit for every determined area (for example" Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, and Material and Resources are categories of points). For more information and resources regarding the LEED process and USGBC's various projects, visit their site at: www.usgbc.org One of my responsibilities as Sustainability Intern will be to earn my LEED Accredited Professional certificate, because although I have had a bunch of experience with LEED projects througho